Announcement date Nobel Peace Prize 2020
The announcement of the recipient(s) of the Nobel Peace Prize 2020 will be made by the Norwegian Nobel Committee Friday 9 October, 11:00 CEST, at The Norwegian Nobel Institute, Store Sal, Henrik Ibsens gate 51, Oslo, Norway.
Nobel Peace Center
It's Friday morning in the first full week of October. The eyes of the world are turned to Oslo and the Norwegian Nobel Institute. The Nobel Peace Prize laureate for the year is about to be announced.
When the doors of the Nobel Institute’s Grand Hall are pushed open and the chairman of the Nobel Committee enters the room, the attending press – and countless followers on TV and social media - hold their breath. In just a few seconds, this year’s recipient of the world’s most prestigious award will be announced.
There is no strict rule governing when the Norwegian Nobel Committee shall announce the name of the year's Peace Prize Laureate. However, the established custom is to make the announcement at 11 a.m. on Friday of the first full week of October. According to the Nobel Foundation statutes the recipient of the Peace Prize must be announced no later than 15 November.
For more information regarding the Nobel Peace Prize, please visit the Norwegian Nobel Institute's website.
The other prize-awarding institutions have decided to announce their 2020 prize decisions as follows:
- PHYSIOLOGY OR MEDICINE – Monday 5 October, 11:30 CEST at the earliest, The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet, Wallenbergsalen, Nobel Forum, Nobels väg 1, Solna
- PHYSICS – Tuesday 6 October, 11:45 CEST at the earliest
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (Kungl. Vetenskapsakademien, KVA), Sessionssalen, Lilla Frescativägen 4A, Stockholm
- CHEMISTRY – Wednesday 7 October, 11:45 CEST at the earliest, The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Sessionssalen, Lilla Frescativägen 4A, Stockholm
- LITERATURE – Thursday 8 October, 13:00 CEST at the earliest, The Swedish Academy (Svenska Akademien), Börssalen, Källargränd 4, Stockholm
- THE SVERIGES RIKSBANK PRIZE IN ECONOMIC SCIENCES IN MEMORY OF ALFRED NOBEL – Monday 12 October, 11:45 CEST at the earliest, The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Sessionssalen, Lilla Frescativägen 4A, Stockholm
Media wishing to attend the announcements should apply to the respective prize-awarding institution in the early fall.
All the announcements will be streamed live at nobelprize.org.
For more information regarding the Nobel Prizes, please visit Nobelprize.org.